Re: [FWDLK] rusted rings

I've heard stories of using Coca-Cola (tm) to free stuck rings.  Maybe
because of the citric acid in it?   But the stories have always said Coke -
not Pepsi - so maybe there is a difference between the two.  (laughs)

Never tried it myself - but there's enough stuck engines out to this
junkyard I suppose we could perform an experiment come spring and see just
what works best...

Which does beg a question.  There's a couple motors stored upside down out
there, supposedly there is an Imperial motor in the back of a truck
somewhere this way.   Will turning it upside down help prevent it from
rusting up, or make it worse?   They have the carb off and the exhaust
manifolds covered up.  My suspicion is so long as some of the intake valves
are open, air/moisture will get in and rust it up regardless of what
position its in.  But the theory has been suggested that some of the oil
will land around the rings, preventing rust.  I tend to think that would
only help the bottom of the bore and it would still rust on top.

You don't want to even bother with one if it's sat with the hood and air
cleaner off for any length of time.  I pulled heads off a Pontiac V8 once
and one intake had rotted right through the stem, another one partway
through, and you maybe could have saved the block but it would have needed
to be sleeved on a couple of the bores after you smashed the pistons to get
them out.  This car had had the hood off at least 10 years.

Bill K.