Re: [FWDLK] 1978 Chrysler Newport HT?

>From "Standard Catalog of Chrysler" :

ID Data: Chrysler's 13-symbol vehicle identification number (VIN) again was
on the upper left instrument panel, between the wiper pivot and 'A' post,
visible through the windshield.  Symbol one indicates car line... ...'C'
Newport/New Yorker..  ...Symbol 2 is price class: 'S' special; 'L' low; 'M'
Medium; 'H' High; 'P' Premium. The next two symbols denote body type (only
listing applicable numbers) '23' 2-dr hardtop coupe; '41' 4-dr sedan; '43'
4-dr hardtop; ... Symbol five is the engine code (likely J, K (both 360 V8)
N (400) or T (440).  Next is the model year code '8' for 1978. Symbol seven
indicates the assembly plant...    (following this is 6-digit sequential
serial number).

1977 is similar except of course the sixth symbol is a 7.

Production is 5,987 Newport 2drs, 24,089 4dr ht, 9,624 New Yorker 2dr and
26,873 New Yorker 4dr.   These should be fairly rare due to high demand for
demolition derby and some taxi use. Having been to a number of demo derbies,
I can testify to how well these last true full size Mopars stand up to
abuse.

Unless the car in question has been stored all it's life and has little to
no driving to it, best you can figure is #2 condition and #3 more likely, or
somewhere inbetween.  These cars as a collector item are not very much in
demand - I watched a cherry '78 New Yorker 4dr ht. with around 50,000 miles
on it start out in the Auto Trader at about $5K and over several months drop
until it finally sold for something like $1200, or less - thats what the
last listing I saw showed for an asking price.  Based on the photo, the car
looked like brand new - had I realized it would get so cheap, I would have
investigated it myself.  Your location may have some effect on a sale price,
hopefully to the better - I am in upstate New York.

Bill K.