[FWDLK] VINNY & the TAGS

There's a 'famous'  57 Dodge Royal (red/white)
in the factory literature, that features backwards-installed "shield"
emblems (which was NOT all that unusual; several prototype/advertising
cars had backwards-shields, INCLUDING  Exner's own "Portrait-picture,
where he's posed, leaning over a 57 Dodge fin) ,  but that car is shown
with its driver's door opened,w/a lovely lass, sporting a full-length
leather coat, seated 1/2-in/on the driver's seat---but I digress---
ANYWAY, the door hinge-pillar is clearly seen, and there's NO VIN plate
installed on that proto-car.

I believe that the VIN plates were spot-welded
to the hinge pillars AFTER the cars were painted.

I don't 'know' about pre-57 cars, but a painted-over VIN plate is a
dead-giveaway on late-50's cars that a cheapo/non-informed  painter was
@ work.

What's interesting is that the VIN plates were apparently designed for
(non-reversible?) screws or rivets, but that somebody  decided, instead,
to weld them 'onto' the hinge pillars.

Neil V.

Visit the ALL-NEW ForwardLook.net!
New Discussion Forums, Expanded Content and much, much more
http://www.forwardlook.net/