From: Bill Watson <wwatson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2004/01/29 Thu PM 02:56:53 EST
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] VINNY & the TAGS

Not surprising there was no VIN tag on the prototype.  Most prototypes,
especially the ones built for display / evaluation purposes, never saw a
road outside the company's display area or the proving grounds.   So no VIN
would be needed.

As for being welded on, look very closely at any VIN tag.   There are no
signs of welds.

For the 1960's tags, if you look at a tag that has fallen off, check the
back side of the tag and the now-exposed part of the pillar.  Something was
applied to those areas.  Also, when you place the tag back on, try and place
it upside down.  It won't fit right.  As I say, those holes were punched
when the tag was installed

The tags of the early 1950's and prior were rivetted on.  I dug out some
tags I have collected over the years from junked vehicles and the one I got
from a 1953 Dodge Mayfair sedan (D43-3) has indentations from rivets.  It is
also circular, by the way.

Also, the tags were made of aluminum, not stainless steel.

The only tags I have seen that were painted over were the data tags under
the hood.  The VIN tags, Canadian pre-1966 body tags, corporate division
tags and Briggs body number tags were never painted and must have been
placed on the car after painting.

Bill
Vancouver, BC