Re: [FWDLK] Vin Plates

George and All
 Anecdotal story. I received my father's 61 Dodge, which he ordered new from
the factory, after my uncle had done a restoration on it. I learned to drive
city streets in it and can tell many stories but I digress. The body shop in
Montana where he had the work done removed the plate, did the body work,
painted, and reinstalled plate with screws. When I brought the car to
Washington I had to get a visual inspectiion by the Wa State Patrol. Drove the
car to the designated station, waited in line for 30 minutes, and pulled her
into the stall. The harda$$ patrolman made me pull her over to the side
because the "plate" had been altered. I produced a plethora of paperwork which
eventually overwhelmed him as well as telling him that I would gladly take the
car back to Montana where such nonsense wasn't an issue. I have since
purchased another 61 Dodge and its plate is in the same place on the driver's
door pillar with the wierd holes like George's images. I don't kow how they
welded them or if they used a different method. State of the art 50s poke a
hole and fill em with JBWeld comes to mind ;-)
just my 2 pennies worth
doug