Re: [FWDLK] Has this ever happened to you?

Re: [FWDLK] Has this ever happened to you?

Let me start by saying how bad I feel that you are having A/C problems while
we are frozen in here in the North East :)

I would check the obvious first, is the belt too loose or too tight, it
probably has a serpintine belt but a lot of japanese cars have a separate
A/C belt. (not likely this is the problem)

Has it been recharged? possibly too much freon, (or added too much oil with
the recharge) either one would make the pressures in the system higher and
compressor work harder maybe dragging down the idle. Overcharging can be
worse than undercharging. You would need a set of A/C guages to properly
check the high and low pressure side of the system.

You said Honda Van so I assume it is pretty new because thay have not been
around that long (at least by the standards of this group) so it must have
EFI.

There is probably something in the A/C wiring that tells the computer that
the AC is on and picks up the idle a little bit, similar in function, if not
form, to the old carb solinoids that stepped up the idle when the a/c is on.
   I doubt that a mechanical solinoid is still used but maybe a plug is
disconnected or corroded somewhere.  You might need a wiring diagram to sort
this out.

Some EFI cars have an Idle Air Circuit (IAC) it allows a certain amount of
air to bypass the throttle body at idle.  I had an idle problem on a Dodge
minivan with a mitsubishi engine and taking out the throttle body and giving
it, and the IAC valve,  a good cleaning with carb cleaner made a huge
difference.  I am thinking that it might have a low idle and the A/C is just
exacerbating the problem.

Well that is all I have, good luck

Scott 1956 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer 2002 Dodge Ram Quad Cab