Re: [FWDLK] 56 Dodge 360/727 Engine Swap

Re: [FWDLK] 56 Dodge 360/727 Engine Swap

Scott,

When I installed my 62 TF, the Imperial Services mount lined up great,
except the holes were off about 1/4 inch rearward on the crossmember. This
is due to the 1/4 inch thicker 727 adapter between the trans and engine. I
just drilled upward through the mount, using the crossmember holes as a
guide. I don't know the relative differences in location from the motor
mounts to the back of the block on your LA block compared to my Hemi. I
suspect this is not large, since the A block was used in the 56 Plymouth in
the same year as the last Hemi/Poly block in a Plymouth. The 56 Dodge (and
Plymouth with A engine) used a 3/4 inch thick adapter between the engine and
trans. Since the LA/TF will not have this spacer, you might expect a small
shift forward on the trans. If I had this problem, my plan was to bolt a 1/4
inch thick plate to the cross member to relocate holes for the tranny mount.
Anything up to 1 inch should be no problem.

Some people have said they have adapted the "Park" lever mechanism from some
62 - 65 Mopars to actuate the separate park cable on the early cable shifted
TFs. Some cars had a horizontally actuated lever. Only concern is in the
factory pushbutton set up, the trans could not be shifted out of neutral
until the park was disengaged. Since there is no link in a 56, you could put
the trans in Drive and apply power with park still engaged.

Hopefully, the distributor/firewall clearance should not be an issue, since
it worked in the 56 Plymouth with A block.

You can buy a cheap "Inclination angle" gage at a building supply place like
Menards or Home Depot for about 10 bucks. It is square with a round dial
with pointer. Once the engine/trans combination is in, you can measure the
angle. I wouldn't use the intake since it may not be level with anything.
Try using the bare block at the head surface, the head between the intake
and valve cover, or just the top of the valve cover. That will measure the
engine angle relative to the ground. After the drive shaft is in, measure
it. The pinion flange location may be a different height on your new 8 3/4
rear, also impacting the drive shaft angle. I measured the centerline of the
trans shafts to the mount surface on the tail housing and found the PF is
about 3/4 inch more than the 727TF, meaning the TF could be low at the tail.
I don't know what is acceptable for the angle difference between engine and
drive shaft, but the closer to zero is best for the U-joint. The tail of the
trans can be raised as required with a spacer block under the trans mount.

Don't forget to measure the pinion angle of the 8 3/4 (angle between the
spring perches and the pinion). If it is different from the original rear,
the whole assembly should have the angle corrected with tapered shims
designed for that purpose.

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500