[FWDLK] Wagon Spare

It was possible to have the spare outside in the quarter panel on a 6
passenger wagon. On the '59 Custom Suburban my dad bought new he ordered
what I think the owner's manual calls the "optionable lockable storage
compartment" in place of the third seat so the spare was in the fender.
I wonder how rare this option was? Does anyone have one of these? I just
thought of a story about this. The compartment (we called it the "well")
door couldn't open unless the tailgate was down which required lowering
the window. When the car was brand new we drove far from home and went
to get our picnic lunch out of the well and the power window wouldn't go
down. My dad was backing up on curbs trying to get it work again until
we gave up and ate at a drive in. Of course it worked again as we pulled
out and we never had trouble with it again. -Steve Dennison