[FWDLK] High Temp at 1200 rpm...59 Dodge...Lou

[FWDLK] High Temp at 1200 rpm...59 Dodge...Lou

 Lou,  this info. may help you out with the overheating problem.  Assuming
that the cooling system.. radiator, thermostat, hoses, engine block passages
have all been checked and are A-OK, another often overlooked factor which
directly affects engine temperature is ignition timing.  If your timing is off by a
few degrees.....especially retarded too much, this WILL cause an engine to
overheat.  Keep in mind that original factory timing specs may not be 100%
accurate due to todays fuels, and mileage and wear on the engine.   The most common
component that tends to be the most likely culprit is that little, hardly
thought of part....THE DISTRIBUTOR VACUUM ADVANCE.  If this is bad it will
definitely cause overheating.   Case in point:  years ago, my parents and I were on
vacation....driving on the interstate on route to Minnesota in a 1975 Olds
Toronado.  The car started running hot on the highway, and even once cooled down
and allowed to idle.  We took it into a nearby shop and they wanted to start
replacing the waterpump, thermostat, radiator...etc, etc.  To make a long story
short....I checked through the Factory Shop Manual and read about the vacuum
advance and how it relates to temp.  Anyway I checked the advance (connected a
vacuum hose, sucked on the end and could continue to draw air through it, no
resistance) and Bingo, it was BAD.  Once that little booger was replaced we went
on our merry way as cool as a cucumber.  I have also experienced this on a
much older car..a '32 Ford 4 cylinder....timing had to be adjusted just so to
stop an overheating problem.  Hope this helps you Lou.  Check the timing and the
vacuum advance.  To check the vacuum advance manually...you simply need to
draw air through it with your mouth.   Connect a vacuum hose from the vacuum
advance long enough for you to comfortably reach your mouth and attempt to draw
air through it.  If you can continue to suck air through the advance, it's bad.
 If you get resistance where you cannot suck air through the hose and advance
unit, it's good.  It's just that simple.   Keep Us Posted on your Progress
with this Problem.  Good Luck Lou.    George.