Re: [FWDLK] POWER STEERING FLUIDS ???????

Re: [FWDLK] POWER STEERING FLUIDS ???????

Ron,

I just use Dextron tranny fluid in my 56 Olds power steering. The Dodge
doesn't have PS. A very small amount of tranny seal conditioner might help
the seals. An ounce of 20W non-detergent motor oil might also improve the
lubrication.

I flushed my system on the Olds by unhooking the low pressure return hose
from the pump and putting the end in a bucket, then ran the engine to pump
the reservoir nearly dry. Wipe it clean, then run the engine some more while
keeping the reservoir partially filled, until you have run at least a quart
or 2 through. After this, every couple of years you could use a turkey
baster to suck the reservoir dry and then refill. This will change about
half the fluid and keep it fresh. This also works for brake master cylinders
too, but be careful not to contaminate the brakes with oil.

My 56 Dodge parts car had power steering. The system leaked up the steering
column and out onto the carpet. When I stripped the car, it must have had a
couple of quarts soaked into the carpet.

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500