Re: [FWDLK] Pulling Windshields

One thing I have found useful in pulling glass like this is to spray the heck out of the rubber seal with a soapy solution to give a little extra lube to it. I have always used a glass cleaner for this.
Don

Bill K. wrote:
Hey Larry:

Sounds familiar -

Rear windows are pretty easy. There is a key strip in the rubber - take all
the stainless off and you should see one, or two cracks the whole length of
it, about in the middle. I assume the 57-59 cars had this, I've been
working with '60's.

I pulled a '60 Windsor 4dr rear this afternoon and the key was attached on
the outer side of the rubber; on a '60 Saratoga 2dr the key seemed to be a
seperate piece (or else I wrecked it unknowingly). Either way, a medium
sized screwdriver popped out this strip, starting it and on the one today
following it all the way around. I just started wherever, there is supposed
to be a start and end on some but I never did find it on either car. Common
sense dictates to do it carefully, I was able to pull both and have reusable
weatherstrip afterwards - soft, flexible, no apparent damage.

Once the key is loose all around, run the same screwdr iver gently between
glass and rubber - or use a flexible type plastic dinner knife if you
prefer - and run it all the way around to seperate the rubber from the glass
itself. They didn't glue these in, but being out in the weather for 45
years will bake the rubber on a bit. On the one today I initially forgot,
then it dawned on me "THAT's why the window won't budge!!" -

I did both of these laying on the small of my back over the back of the rear
seat (not a position for those with back problems!), pushing gently with my
feet on each corner of the glass. Niether car did I particularly want to
touch the floor or seats, and the Windsor is quite literally full of crap
also, but to a much lesser degree. I think if I had no other alternative I
would either wear a rain suit or a set of coveralls I didn't particularly
care if I ruined (and then lay some plastic trash bags down or wear them).
Sounds like yours has too much junk in it to try to clean short of a
firehose from one side out the door on the other side. Have any junk
plywood you can cut to fit in there across the seat tops and lay on that?

Both windows popped right out with some gentle persuasion, just go slow and
easy. Today's, one side came loose before the other, so I worked one side a
little then the other. Window's on my back porch now.

While I have not attempted to pull a windshield, the rubber left behind when
someone did the Saratoga windshield had the same key strip - so I think the
proceedure is about the same.

It may be possible to use some kind of suction cup device to pull from the
outside, if they stick well enough to the glass, but it is more awkward to
pull up than to push down/out. Perhaps using some soapy water to lube up
the rubber on the glass side would help trying to do it this way.

Bill K.