Re: [FWDLK] 56 Plymouth Perch Axle perch width measurement

Re: [FWDLK] 56 Plymouth Perch Axle perch width measurement

I have the axle out and it looks like 41 inches is the measurement. (even with the axle out it is tough due to the center section layout. I have seen 41 1/2 quoted but I can only get that if a let the tape follow a line deviating around the center section. You can buy spring perches from Dodge (our local performance shop carries them as they say they are the best deal). Its actually harder to to cut the old ones off then put the new ones on. I followed the advice of someone from the list and set the rearend and measured the perch angle using a guage and duplicated it with the new perches. My perches overlapped so I had to take the old ones off then put the new ones on. I have a friend that is a fairly good welder who welded them for me. You don't need a pressure ticket welder but at least someone who can lay a good bead. I am not sure why the springs are mounted narrower at the front than the back and this is not the first time I have seen it. Maybe it ma! kes the vehicle  more stable. I would be interested in anyone knows the answer. Two schools of though on leaving the axles in. I did cause I'm lazy. There is really not that much heat generated if you go weld it in a couple of different go arounds. You generate as much or more cutting off the old ones with a torch. The other possibility is the balls in the axle bearings can arc and get rough so lots of guys suggest taking the bearings out. I am taking my chances and will check the bearings when I change the backing plates.
I am using a A999 trans so I can just shorten ( I may not even have to do that) the driveshaft from my Diplomat dononr car. I have a bunch more pictures on putting in the Volare front end and am going to update my website finally. Its been pretty pathetic. It probably on took 25 man hours to build the frame but it took almost two years due to "distractions".
I  am going to be further distractions as an old family friend who is ill with Cancer has sold me his family jewel as I am the only one he knows that actually finishes restoration projects. I am very excited as its a 1947 Buick Roadmaster Convertible. He was part way throught he redo, it only has 81,000 miles on it. It does run but hasn't been driven much in the last 30 years and hasn't driven at all in about the last 5. It has all new interior and top but needs some TLC that years of garaging has left.

Do you Yahoo!?