Re: [FWDLK] 1955 Plymouth wheel bolts

This was change over period.  Have found 55 Chryslers that way often but some with bolts all around also.

From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List [mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Clear Creek
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 8:43 AM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FWDLK] 1955 Plymouth wheel bolts

I have had my two 1955 Belvederes for about three years, and I am amazed that I never before noticed something.  The front hubs on both cars have male studs from the hubs, and the wheels are attached by lug nuts.  Each of the rear wheels, though, have the lug bolts, and female threads in the axle hub.  This is as I thought should be the proper attachment.  It appears that sometime it each of their lives, my parts car, and my restoration Sport Coupe, have had their front hubs changed.  If this is the case, what front hubs & drums could they be?  I thought that lug bolts were used until around 1958.  When did Mopar change from lug bolts to lug nuts?  Is it possible that the mixed bolts & nuts were factory original?  It appears that all other components on each of the cars is original, and I wonder why someone would change something so insignificant.

Thanx,

Mike Higgins

1955 Belvedere Sport Coupe (apparently with altered front hubs)