[FWDLK] Carbination

Some of y'all might recall my earlier missives
Re: my having purchased Firm feel's "Carbon-metallic" brake linings---in
my case, I  was able to buy pre-lined 11x3" RIVITED Bendix "Duo-Servo"
brake shoe
assemblies ( as I had retro-fitted that brake-system, to my 57 Dodge)
You'll have to send them your brake-shoe assemblies,  for their
sub-contractor to "bond"  the linings onto your "Centerplane" brake
shoes.

Well, this week (after H. got his new coat of paint--a process that
began in April [!] )--
I finally was able to have the Firm-Feel's be
installed, and have now got a few brake-in
miles on him, I can report that they work GREAT---better than the
'regular' linings, which had been 'used'.

Those linings have no 'fade', associated with the brake pedal feeling
'soft', during a concerted stop--like the  earlier linings, these guys
WILL lock up the brakes, but there is good 'feel-
modulation', so the lock-up doesn't suddenly
occur--I got excellent stopping-ability, using about half-pedal effort,
and the brakes do not squeal--something I was a little concerned
about--MoPar Action's 12/03 issue ("Product News; page #78", which
prompted me to buy those brakes) said that this lining material was
:"very drum friendly".

So, now, I CAN recommend them, based upon my own driving experience.

I would CERTAINLY say that you should consider installing these linings,
regardless whether you are contemplating spending a LOT of money on a
disc brake conversion, in the future, for your car!!

Of course, it's now the height of the summer driving season, so, unless
you have 'spare/extra' brake assy's, or have access to wrecking yard
pieces, you''ll probably not want to have your ride be 'down' for a
couple weeks, --but it's a good winter-project--even tho you NEED the
stopping-power:  NOW

Their phone # is 1-800-347-6426; www.firmfeel.com

As a PS; Dave Homstad wrote, recently, to say that JC Whitney(?) sells a
2" tachometer, so that he/you can carve-out the center of the clock
'dummy/block-off' bezel (or, remove the guts from a  'worthless'
clock-assy) and install that tach, right into the dash, where the clock
would be sited.

Wow, if I didn't already have a clock, there, I'd JUMP @ the prospect of
putting a real-live TACH , in the middle of the dash!!

Neil Vedder