Re: [FWDLK] IML: fuel pump, thanx

Hi all,
Thanks for all the replies i got from the 3 lists. Difficult to reply to each so i'll try to make a "global" answer...
Any NOS pump you buy is going to have a diaphragm that cannot tolerate
modern fuel, at least in the USA.  I don't know if Europe is using
oxygenated fuels to meet air pollution rules or not, but if they are, you
need to replace all rubber parts in the fuel system with modern parts.
I agree with you ! Yes, in France we've two unleaded fuels, one is the SP98 (around 93 US octane rate) which is very agressive with rubber and the other is the SP95 (around 89-90 octane) which is less or no harmful. Since 3 years i used the 98 and i switch to 95 2 months ago. The car runs well with this lower octane gas but i've noticed that it runs at little higher t° (seen at gauge). I'll decrease a little the advance as someone told me.
I replaced all rubber hoses but not rubber diaphragm fuel pump or carb !!
The fuel tank filter on the end of the sending
unit. If it is old it can be partially plugged and at higher speeds starve
the engine for fuel.
I removed it when i restored the tank 4 years ago .. I run w/o filter in the tank (but tank is as new, i cleaned it and covered the inside with special  epoxy resin).
When you say you checked the filter I will assume you are referring to the
ceramic at carb.
Yes, it's the only filter i have (except the ones at inlet of the carb). It is like new, i bought it 2 years ago (and i cleaned it some days ago).
have you check the carb float level??  sounds like the gasoline is being sucked out of the carb faster than it is pumped in.
It's also another possibilitie i've thought. I adjust the carb 4 years ago when i renewed it. Not too much "drop float" level ? But it's easier to install first the electric pump and check..

At this time i think that the culprit is: - 70 % the pump - 25 % the float level - 5 % anything else (as carb inside filters, secondary vacuum diaphgram, clogged "new" ceramic filter)

--
Philippe COURANT

Philippe COURANT (Pau, France)- Webmaster des sites ACCF et C-I-F

Imperial 1957 Crown convertible

Buick 1996 Roadmaster wagon

- American Car Club de France (ACCF) : http://www.accf.com

- Chrysler Imperial France (C-I-F) : http://www.ifrance.com/c-i-f