Re: [FWDLK] fuel pump

I wouldn't be surprised if the diaphram is shot in this one.  They can dry
out or dry rot with age, even an NOS unit sitting on the shelf.  Nothing
wrong with one on a trailered car, but on a car I am going to drive, I would
use a rebuilt or new production pump of some sort.   There are a number of
suppliers in the US, especially given your car should be a Hemi motor if
it's the '57 Imperial.

If the car is carburated, you only should need about 13 PSI (US, would have
to convert for the metric equivalent) fuel pressure.  Electric pumps and so
forth are generally aimed at racing cars or cars with fuel injection
systems.  You'd want a safety shut off on that just in case if you add it to
your car.

As for the lead, it only comes into play with regard to the valve seats.
The presence or lack of lead should have no effect one way or the other on
the fuel pump; certainly it never did in my '60 Pontiac, and I never did
need to change the pump on that car.  Sometimes they give us an oxygenated
fuel blend, in the winter, and I hear people complain it attacks the rubber
parts in the fuel system, but I never noticed any problems with it.

Your problem reminds me some of my rat car, you might look at the carbs too.
I have a computer controlled carb, and it tends to have a dead spot anywhere
from just a little bit of throttle on up to almost full throttle.  I run it
like that anyway because #1 its a beater and #2 for the cost of a carb
rebuild I could buy two more cars just like it.  I'm waiting to come up with
the same car without a computer to rob a carb out of and fix it that way.
I'm not 100% sure just what the problem is in it but it cuts out and doesn't
want to run; my guess is one of the sensors is bad and makes the carb lean
out.

Bill K.