Re: [FWDLK] "Something I've Been Wondering About. . .!" 8-)

Re: [FWDLK] "Something I've Been Wondering About. . .!" 8-)

Hi, All:

First, let me 'publicly' thank the number of you guys contacting me 'privately' on joining the group less than two weeks ago!  It feels like 'home' and I appreciate being so welcomed.  I'm SO glad I joined.  I have four of you in my Address Book already, for further 'private' contact.

Now you all know I'm in a wheelchair and no longer can drive.  But the 'passion' for cars will NEVER ebb.  What amazes me is how so many of you ARE able to 'restore' your cars on your own.  I wouldn't even know where to start!  Of course I don't have the 'income,' either, so it's a moot point.  I love printing out the pics of some of your restored cars for my literature collections, too! 8-)

Now to the point at hand:  For years I have noticed different 'whitewall-widths' used on various cars.  Tell me IF I am 'wrong' on this.  I assume cars up to about 1950 have 5"-whitewall tires.  Through 1954, I have assumed whitewalls were 4"-wide!  For 1955-56, width of the whitewall should be 3"-wide, many STILL using 15"-wheels.

In 1957, to 'lower' the cars even more, the car companies decreed the wheels down to 14"-size, and the whitewall itself was down to 2"- to 2-1/4"-width.  This lasted through 1961!  In 1962 whitewall width dropped again to 1"-wide.  Then in 1966 they went down to 1/2"-width.  In 1969 they had TWO 1/4"-whitewalls to (I believe) 1971?  After that, it was hit or miss with 'widths.'

Does anyone but me NOT like seeing 1957+ cars 'restored' and wearing 3" whitewalls?  Some even go to 4"!  Promo plastic cars were VERY on-target with whitewall widths aa I recall.  Nothing looks worse than a 1959 Cadillac with 3" to 4" whitewalls.  God, I've seen 1964 Chevy's with 3"-whitewalls.

It's just a small point and up to 'personal' taste, I know.  I just think 1957 and later cars would look SO much better if they had 2"-whitewalls on them as originally 'stock' condition!  Wider ones don't get it, at least for me.

Comments?  Am I the ONLY one who notices this or cares?

If anyone knows of an additional place to get "The Plymouth & DeSoto Story," please forward 'privately.'  One of you has the word out, too, but I can't remember WHO it was.  I can't afford the sky-high prices for the book on eBay!

Have a good weekend, everyone.

Robb Russo