From: Richard Woodside
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2004 9:06 AM
Subject: [FWDLK] 1958 Fargo Pick-Up

Last weekend, I met the original owner of a 1958 Fargo pick-up truck, and
his son.

The truck has its original 313 V-8 and a step-side box, and has been
restored by replacing the metal in the running boards, the wood in the bed
and repainting the truck. Front seat and dash have been redone, but the door
panels and steering wheel have not (yet). The original rubber floor mat is
in great shape.

But, the owner has not been able to rebuild the brakes satisfactorily, so
the truck has not moved out of its old garage for quite a while. It was a
bit of a shock to see so much bird droppings on that new paint!

The owner tells me that the rear-end is geared for power, not fuel
conservation, so he always got pretty low gas mileage, albeit pulling some
pretty big loads. He also tells me that the 313 V-8 car engines were
manufactured in Windsor, Ontario, but the 313 V-8 truck engines were
manufactured in Mexico, and so he has not found any engine parts sources.

Does anyone know of any sources for brake, engine or rear-end parts for this
truck?

I took a photo of the data plate in the door jamb area -- can anyone help
decipher it? And would I be correct to assume that there would have been
another data plate under the hood (on the rad support?) that would have
provided some more info on this truck?

This is all to help the original owner ... the truck is not for sale, and
probably won't be, for a few more decades, since the son is an engine
engineer on one of Cadillac's new engine projects, so I'm gonna guess he'll
be next in line, before I ever get a chance to pick up this pick-up.

Thanks for your expert help.

Dick Woodside
1958 NY T&C Wagon (engine is currently being rebuilt)