Re: [FWDLK] A MOTHER of a LOVE..

The "Plodge" used Dodge front end sheet metal from 1934 to 1938 and 1953 to
1959.  This was due to the Plymouth and Dodge sharing the same basic body.
The American Dodge's longer wheelbase was all in the rear seat area,
extending the wheelbase 3" in 1934-38, 5" in 1953-56 and 4" in 1957-59.
>From 1939 to 1952 the Plodge used the Plymouth front end clip with a grille
designed to fit over the Plymouth grille hole.  The 1960-61 Dodge Dart used
the same front end clip as the Polara, using a different grille, the 4"
difference in wheelbase again being in the rear seat area..

The Dodge export version of the Plodge was also built in Detroit from 1936
to 1959 (called Kingsway from 1949 to 1959).  Chrysler built an export
DeSoto on the Plymouth body as well, using Plymouth front end sheet metal
with a special DeSoto-like grille from 1937 to 1956.  The 1957-59 Diplomat
(as it was called 1949-61) used the Firesweep front clip on the Plymouth
body.   The 1960-61 Diplomat was a Dart with DeSoto-like side trim.
Chrysler South Africa built a DeSoto Diplomat in 1962,  in reality a 1962
Dart 440 with DeSoto nameplates and emblems.

The Canadian Pontiac from 1949 to 1954 used the Chevrolet front fenders with
the Pontiac grille modified to fit the Chevrolet grille opening.  From 1955
to 1957 the Canadian Pontiac used a 5" shorter front clip than the American
Pontiac (1955 Chevrolet - 115" wheelbase, Pontiac Chieftain - 122"
wheelbase).  The remaining 2" was done in the rear seat area, just as Dodge
did.   Starting in 1961 the Canadian Pontiac used the Catalina body on the
Chevrolet chassis, making things a little easier..

Bill
Vancouver, BC