From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List
[mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Edward X. Petrus
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 5:42 AM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FWDLK] any Torqueflite experts?

Hi, gang.  Last evening I put my newly-sealed gas tank back into the 57
Adventurer project. I hooked everything back up, put 5 gallons of fresh gas
into her, and tightened the belts (it eliminated some squeal I had).

She fired right up, ran great, and smoothly edged into reverse when I
depressed the R button. This is the first time since 1972 the car has moved
under its own power! However, when I eased it into D, or 1 or 2 for that
matter, nothing happened. No clunk, no movement, no nothing. I pushed the
car back into its resting spot at the far end of my driveway. I'm thinking
(and hoping) it's just a linkage adjustment that's needed. However, the
service manual shows a multitude of possible problems when there's no
forward movement, including pressure checks, line lube, clutches, etc. but
there's no mention of the linkage situation.

When I rebuilt the engine, I put a new front tranny seal in, but did not do
anything else to the transmission. It has never been out of the car, so far
as I know.  Fluid on the dipstick looks great, but I have not had the pan
off.

Any suggestions on where to start (hopefully without pulling the unit out of
the car)? Transmissions are one of my weak points, so don't be afraid to
talk to me on a first-grade level.

As always, thanks for any advice offered.

Ed Petrus