From: <cpollock@xxxxxxxx>
To: <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2004 9:14 AM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Legal Implications of Changing Years and Models

> Hello,
> Ohio's BMV does it 'differently'.  To change ownership, you just have to
appear with a valid, signed, notorized title.  Then you have to pay the
sales tax on the price listed on the title, and the processing fee, and they
issue a title.  The car need not be present.  This is for car that have an
Ohio title to begin with.  They don't check to see if the year/make/model or
anything else is right on the title, just the VIN.  And they screw that up
sometimes as well.  I bought a 76 Chrysler Newport, and the title stated 77
Chrysler Newport.  I had to prove to them that it was a 76, not a 77 to have
the new title (in my name) give the correct year!

> For cars coming from out of state, you have to take the car itself to a
dealership, have someone verify the VIN on the car matches the VIN on the
title.  This can be done at the Deputy registrar's office as well.  Then,
you can take your signed, notorized, out of state title, plus the paperwork
for the VIN inspection, and get a new Ohio title.
> Now- I just found this out when I brought my 03 SRT-4 into Ohio- all cars
coming into the state now must pass vehicle emissions testing.  So I had to
take my car to a check station, lay out $19.00 for the test, and then head
over to the BMV.  They told me it did not matter when the car was made.  I
dread bringing a FWDLK car into the state now.  How would you test a
non-running 60 Saratoga?