From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List
[mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Edward X. Petrus
Sent: Saturday, August 21, 2004 10:05 AM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FWDLK] torqueflite update

Many thanks to all those who replied here and to me in person.  I said that
my torqueflite in my '57 Adventurer project had reverse but no forward
gears, and hasn't been touched since 1972.  I bolted my rebuilt engine up
to it and "hoped" it would function.

Some of you had rebuild-type answers, some had "flush and clean filters"
kind of answers, and the problems were diagnosed as the forward clutches,
clogged hydraulics, etc.

The first thing I tried was to jack the car up onto jackstands so the
wheels were safely off the ground.  I drained the transmission fluid and
cleaned things up a bit.  Then I refilled with fresh fluid and 2 cans of
Chemtool (methyl ethyl ketone).  I kept going through the buttons, N to D,
N to R, N to 1, N to 2, over and over again.  The wheels appear to be
driving the car, and indeed the direction of rotation changes as it
should.  I will continue this off and on for several days, then flush and
refill again.  Then I'll try it with the wheels on the ground.  I hope this
will work and will save me big bucks on a complete rebuild (at least for
now).

If things DON'T work with the wheels on the ground, we'll have to rethink
this all.

Ed