From: esierraadj@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:esierraadj@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2004 12:35 PM
To: DBlackmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx; L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Oil pressure line-FIX

Back when I belonged to the WPC Club, I wrote a mini-article about how I
simply-fixed a pinhole leak that developed in Horrie's oil-pressure
line,
that 'runs' to the dash-gauge, thru the firewall.

Before I mention the 'fix', I urge ALL of you, with cars having an oil
gauge, to go out to your cars, & check these rubber-lines, for
contact/rubbing abrasions, like where the lines contact the
throttle-linkage-bracket, on the firewall.

One memorable day, 15+ years ago, I returned home, from a local
cruze-around, to discover an apparent engine-fire occurring, 'from' all
the smoke that was , then, billowing from under the hood!!

Quickly raising the hood revealed an actual oil leak, that was
dripping/spraying onto the driver's side exhaust manifold.

What I dscovered was that the oil-gauge line, from, oh, March, 1957
until that day, had been lying against the subject "t-l-b" , until, from
very minor driving-vibrations, a crescent-gouge had been worn into that
line, until the pinhole failure eventually developed, with the
aforementioned
"excitement". Fortunately, I was 'home' when the line-failure (finally)
occurred!!

Like Dawson, I encountered great difficulty in locating a NOS or NORS
(after-market) oil pressure line, & my local "hydraulic" shop didn't
have the esoteric fitting, that conects to the gauge.

What to do??

Well, kind of like, for  the stolen Civil War train, "The General", when
its Union Army liberators ran out of track , they just moved the track,
from the rear, to replace a destroyed-section, lying in front of the
train.

Well, that's not a perfect analogy, but I do try to use "what's at
hand", to effect repairs, when ever possible.

What I did, to fix the oil line leak, & to PREVENT any future leak, from
its wearing against the "t-l-b"  was to have that hydraulic shop,
merely, install (brass) CONNECTION-
FITTINGS, to the area of the failure. The "c-f's"
now lie against the "t-l-b", preventing any further abrasions/wear onto
the oil line.

Subsequently, no problemos from/with the oil line---btw, the area of the
'failure' is virtually "invisible", due to its small-size, and its
location, with its  hand-in-glove fitment, lying against
the "t-l-b"-----the line, itself "looks" fine, but be sure to run your
hand all-around its length, to check for wear-points!!

Neil Vedder