[FWDLK] Trunk body mount repair idea

I had been struggling with repair to the rear body mount for my Plodge. The mount is set in a recessed area and they seem prone to rusting out. I was trying to fabricate a dished repair piece from scratch with no satisfactory results.
What I found worked very well was to cut a piece of sheet metal into a circle, then use a hole saw to drill out the middle. Into that I welded a frost plug. I used one that was 2 1/8 (the rubber fits but there is no "wiggle room") but a 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 would be a better choice. It took about an hour to make up both sides and tack them in place.
If anyone wants to see a couple of pictures, email me and I will forward same.
I had also speculated that some of those cone shaped pieces used to hold down spare tires in some of the newer import cars might also make a good repair but I haven't tracked one down to see if its heavy enough.

Do you Yahoo!?