From: Robert Whitman <Robert.Whitman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2004/09/23 Thu PM 03:40:16 EDT
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FWDLK] 1960 Adventurer... Original engine?

I have a 1960 Adventurer 4dr.  It has not been run in almost 3 years, and it is time to fire it up.  It ran fine, but the brakes quit braking.  I am having some concerns as I buy parts for the engine and related items, so I thought I would ask a few questions:  I was told that the engine was rebuilt, but the previous owner did not know if it was the original engine, or for that matter, a 383 as all Adventurers came with.  Everything else about the car seems 100% original.  It is a red block with red valve covers which is not typical for this car.  The air cleaner cover is original, which leads me to believe a previous owner preferred to keep things original.

How do I find out if this is the original motor, or what motor it is, if not original.  Are there #'s on the block to tell me?  When I changed the oil, there was a bunch of green coolant mixed in......oh boy.  If my mechanic recommends a new motor, I want to know if this is the original block that I may want to rebuild, or dump for something new because it is not original, anyway.

In an effort to start it after 3 years of sitting in the garage, I have been advised by a friend to:
replace the plugs
clean the fuel filter
Oil prime the motor by pouring a teaspoon worth of oil in the spark plug holes.
check all fluids
then crank the motor for 60 seconds with the coil disconnected to prime the motor more.
then pray and try to start it....with a fire extinguisher nearby.
Do you have any other basic thoughts or precautions for me?

Sorry for my simplicity, but I don't know much about working on these older cars.  Not a good way to be for a guy that loves old cars.  I'm workin on it.  And I love this DeSoto!!
-Robert in K.C.