From: Dave Stragand [mailto:dave.stragand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 12:29 PM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] List members in Florida

Not all of the devastation was in Florida.  There has been quite a bit of damage in Tennessee, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Alabama, Georgia, and Texas.  This has been a rough month for many.

My little town of Etna had a "500-year flood".  The water was up to 20' deep in some places as Pine Creek and the Allegheny river both overflowed their banks to drench the town.  With over 8" of rain in 5 hours, the Allegheny went 32' over flood stage.  We're looking at more than 50 homes being condemned here out of the 250 or so that were flooded, and our neighboring Boroughs of Millvale and Sharpsburg both also sustained heavy damage.

President Bush was just here to survey the damage, and he has promised relief from FEMA.  It's especially bad that since our last floods in 1986, there was a 150 million dollar flood control project, and the government declared that we would "never have flooding again".  Therefore, almost everyone dropped their flood insurance.

The cleanup is progressing, although slowly.  Vacant lots in town are filled with mildewing garbage that they can't get rid of fast enough.  Submerged vehicles (about 2000 in Allegheny County) are piled everywhere; there simply isn't any way to move them all out fast enough.  We also are coping with up to 10' of mud in some places -- mud which has mixed with raw sewage from the overflowing sewer plants.  And as it dries, the clouds of dust have been choking and reduced visibility to near zero...  Now the National Guard is around, and the place looks like a war zone.  Half of the roads are still closed around here, and it's a daily challenge to get from point A to B.  They are saying it may be months before all of the bridges are repaired enough to drive across.

Fortunately, my house is at the top of 'Mount Etna', and did not sustain any damage, but we were lucky.  This morning I just saw them bulldozing the garage I nearly rented for the DeSoto, Plymouth, and Gremlin.  It had been under about 6' of water.  The two Woodies inside were a total loss...

-Dave