Re: [FWDLK] Which is faster? a 426 Hemi Challenger, or a 1956 Dodge?

Re: [FWDLK] Which is faster? a 426 Hemi Challenger, or a 1956 Dodge?

Neil, I'll revisit the mythology. The comparison is highly subjective as I'm sure anyone would agree. My recent findings are mostly centered on Ed Lyons and his remarkable 56 D500-1. From what I can gather his 100 mph runs and low 14 ETs were logged in the first year SS (Super Stock) class. This class was the only stock class to allow multiple carbs, at least in the AATA. I wonder if Ron can confirm this. If this be the case it could explain a lot. I must reiterate that many early production D500-1 cars were only equipped with a single four barrel, the dual quads were not available for months after the Maximum Duty Chassis was announced in early December 56. Many D500 ETs reported from the period were single carb engines. Furthermore, I believe that Ed Lyons is still alive and although he has not sought a lot of attention for his runs in 56, which have been reported as the first 100 plus runs in an American stock car class regardless of the sanctioning series, he may still be willing to be interviewed on this subject. He may be in Ohio. No matter what with the handicaps that a mid fifties racer would face the car must have been a rocket to perform that well. One documented run in Kentucky has him reaching 106. So I think he could have faired well in match races with many muscle car era brutes. Tim 56 Dodge D500-1