From: "Edward X. Petrus" <desoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2004 5:59 PM
Subject: [FWDLK] '57 Adventurer tranny update

I took this past Friday off from work to extract the failing tranny from my
'57 Adventurer project.  It came out without too much trouble.  The
rebuilt
unit arrived Friday evening, and I spent a little time yesterday cleaning
it up and painting it, swapping the mount and the shift control from the
old one to the new, and installing the emergency brake unit (separated for
easy of shipping).  After returning from church this morning, I set about
to get the new (rebuilt) transmission in.  It actually went pretty
smoothly.  I don't have bumpers, a license, or insurance, so couldn't test
drive her more than up and down the street in front of my house.  Forward
and Reverse engage nicely, so I have no reason to doubt that the unit will
shift up and down, but it didn't get a chance today.

It has been a real learning experience for me.  I did all the work all by
myself, in my driveway.  Thanks for all the encouragement along the way,
folks!  Special thanks to Neil Vedder for originally finding the rebuilt
tranny, John Paxos for locating the guy selling it after we lost his name,
and to Philippe Courant for his web site and information on Torqueflites!

Ed Petrus