From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List
[mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Lou
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2004 12:47 AM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FWDLK] How to best avoid Gasoline spewing out the filler??

OK, so I have only had my '59 Dodge for 2.5 years, but I still get drenched
in gasoline from time to time (not to mention getting gas on the side of teh
car).

The only way I can avoid having gas spew out the filler and all over me and
the car is to  1) fill the tank excruciatingly slowly, and 2) don't try to
fill the tank more than half-3/4 full (good guess when that is!) or 4) if
its quiet outside, listen carefully to the sound of the fuel going in and
when it starts to get full the pitch of the fuel flowing into the tube gets
higher...so STOP.  (of course, invariably someone walks up to me and starts
asking questions about the car while I am filling and distracts me, and
BLAM!  gas comes pouring out the filler)  or  4) only go to gas stations
that have a good "vapor recovery shield" around the end of the nozzle so
that you can jam it up against the filler tube so that it seals the
connection  between the gas nozzle and filler neck so that no gas can splash
out.

Are there any better ways?  Why is it that these cars are so prone to this
problem? (or is it just me?).  Any modifications to the tank or tube to
prevent this?

Thanks,
Lou