Re: [FWDLK] Virgil Exner, Jr.

I've invited Mr. Exner to join the mailing list as well, but I'm not sure
how often he really gets online to check email.  If he decides to join for
while, I'll certainly let you all know.

He was old enough at the time to actually help Ex. Sr. work on the designs
for our cars, and has a wealth of information about their history.  I'm
certainly looking forward to spending some time with him at Carlisle if he
is able to attend.

-Dave

That is so cool, Dave! You never cease to amaze us all with the creative ideas you come up with for the club. If you can pull off getting him to come to C@C this summer, no doubt you'll also come up with ideas for welcoming and honoring him when he's there. If we get to that point, let us know what we can all do to help out (signs, etc.?).

It would also be awesome if you could coax him into joining the Forward Look
list, if even for a little while.  (What a feather in the cap that would be,
to have the son of the club's ICON as part of the discussion!)

One thing I was really struck by when talking with Ex, Jr. is what CAR GUYS
both he and his dad are/were.  I mean, I thought they might have been more
artsy/designer types only, but no.....they both seem(ed) like pretty wild
men, into racing and high performance.  So rather than thumb his nose at any
non-stock, high performance Forward Look cars that might happen to be at
C@C, I'm guessing that Ex, Jr would enjoy talking to those owners about what
they did, how they run, etc.  As Ex put it, he's got the "gas in the blood".

One other food for thought: Ex, Jr. really seemed to get a kick out of doing
a design "EXercise" for the Online Imperial Club, in which he came up with a
proposal for a modern take on a classic Imperial, which he called,
appropriately, the Imperial Eagle:
http://www.imperialclub.org/Articles/Exner/Eagle/index.htm

You'll notice that he didn't exactly envision a "tame" powerplant for it,
either! ;-)

Wouldn't it be fun to see if he'd be interested in doing modern
interpretations of some of our prized Forward Look cars?

Mike Trettin
1956 Imperial Sedan
1960 Chrysler New Yorker 4-dr. hardtop
1962 Chrysler Newport T & C 9-pass. wagon