Re: [FWDLK] 1965 or newer rear ends transplanted in 1950s FWDLK

Re: [FWDLK] 1965 or newer rear ends transplanted in 1950s FWDLK

Sounds like a 'keep it running' sort of repair.   Use what you have, or what
you can get most easily.   I've done that more than a few times on beaters,
and I used to snatch all the used generator brushes I could when I ran my
'60 Pontiac everyday.  I went through two generators and about half a dozen
sets of brushes on it.  I think the second generator was '57 Olds (got
chased out of the bus in the junkyard by a racoon, so I didn't stop to worry
if there was a correct one in it) - I didn't care, it worked, was cheap and
I kept the old one handy.  Usually the old parts end up in the trunk -

In the case of the rearend swap - you had to know the wheel cylinders were
bad somehow.. if you pulled the drums to inspect them and they came off
without a puller, thats a dead giveaway the rearend's been changed.  You
still then have to sort out what it is, but even something like a Motors
Manual might provide enough clues to figure it out close enough to start
matching parts.

Here again the fix may have been done with what was available at the time.
I think it's just something you have to expect when working on a 40+ year
old car.  At one time they were all just someone's transportation and
keeping it going was more important than keeping it 100% original.  A note
would be nice, but it runs through an auction or someone cleans out the
glovebox not paying attention along the way and that's gone anyhow.  About
the only sure way would be to find a hidden spot and paint the info onto the
car -

Bill K.