Re: [FWDLK] 1965 or newer rear ends transplanted in 1950s FWDLK

A few years back I bought a 59 Plymouth Fury. Went to install a new set of points and 59 Ply 318 points just wouldn’t fit. After going a summer with a gerry rigged set, I found out thru dist # and vendor parts book someone in the past had replaced the distributor with one from a 60-61 Dodge or 60-61 Plymouth. So now when buying points I have to buy for those years and models.  Like Dick said, a note in glove box would have been nice.

From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List [mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Richard Woodside
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 5:19 PM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FWDLK] 1965 or newer rear ends transplanted in 1950s FWDLK

Sorry about the earlier (empty) message.

If you're going to transplant a later-model rear end into your 1950s Forward-Looker, how about putting a notation (plastic coated, too?) in the glove-box, to let future owners know what's in there, and what size drums and shoes they're dealing with?

My 1958 NY wagon has a transplanted axle, which was discovered the hard way: the wheel cylinders purchased from Kanter wouldn't fit and neither would the shoes purchased locally. A fair bit of $$$ lost for shipping and customs brokerage and local taxes unrecoverable.

I still don't know what car the axle-donor was, but I was able to match up wheel cylinders from a paper catalogue with the help of a counter-man who took the trouble to help. That was in 2000. There is an early-20s kid there now, who couldn't care less about anything pre-2000, wouldn't open a book to save his life (why start now?), and knows his job is done, as soon as the computer says the parts don't exist. And this is in the most old-fashioned parts store around here! Before you suggest, I'd be happy to take my business somewhere else, but there aren't any better alternatives.

So help the next owner by leaving a permanent note about what you've done.

Dick Woodside

58 NY Wagon