Re: [FWDLK] alt conversions

I ran into this a few years ago on a project for the college. We needed
alternators to isolate high voltage and current. It seems that some
will start charging on their own but most have to have an "exciting"
voltage before they will operate. That's why you can't push start a dead
battery car with an alternator (if its possible to push start at all). The
exciter voltage can come from the ignition switch with no problem as
it is a very low (almost non existent) current so it is not going to cause
a problem for any other items.
Jim