[FWDLK] Interesting Austrailian

I attended the Four-States Swap Meet in Denver last weekend, and saw an interesting, but questionable vehicle.  It was labeled as a 1959 Chrysler Wayfarer, with an OHV I-6; one of only two in the US.  The car was made with 1956 Plymouth sheetmetal frontclip & rear fenders, but had been made as a pick-up truck.  It was a right-hand driver, and had an unrecognizable grille, similar to a DeSoto of the era.  The interior displayed a CHRYSLER nameplate, and the rear fenders carried the name WAYFARER on the fins.  The engine was completely unrecognizable to me; an inline 6 cylinder, OHV.  The distributor was on the driver's side of the block, near the bellhousing.  The Intake and Exhaust Manifolds were on the passenger (left) side, and the exhuast manifold was the tube header design, 3 into 2 into 1.  The engine was too long to fit comfortably into the compartment, and required that the fan not be attached onto the water pump pulley, but had an electric fan of more modern design (e.i., plastic blades and screen) mounted in front of the radiator.

I appeal to those down under: does this sound like a legitimate car?  Do you remember if Austrailian Chryslers (or Plymouths) of the 50's used OHV 6's?  If so, do you know who manufactured them?

Mike Higgins
1955 Belvedere Sport Coupe