[FWDLK] Safety Question - Thoughts on Seat Belts

[FWDLK] Safety Question - Thoughts on Seat Belts

I certainly am no expert or engineer (but I do pretend to be one in my
garage) but I spent a lot of time last summer looking for replacement
seatbelts for a Corvette.
I checked all the seal belt suppliers (aftermarket, restoration aand race
car) and was surprised to see that the standard method of installing
aftermarket belts is a a hole in the floor with a large fender washer on
each side.  I believe that I even saw DOT regulations specifying this setup.
I was still not happy so I welded in an extra  6" x 8" support plate under
the floor and then used fender washers on either side.

A few years ago I did some junk yard scrounging to add belts to rear seat of
old 4 Runner and observed that the mounting points in many cars are not as
stout as you might expect to see.

My conclusion was that the steel in the floor and pillars must be stronger
then I thought and are probably strong enough to support the force of a
collision and the associated forces imposed by the weight the average human
body secured by a seatbelt.  Of course I did not trust my own conclusion
(based only on limited observation wth no empirical testing) and welded in
additional support plates anyway :)

You may be statistically safer with just a lap belt rather the nothing but I
do not like either option.

For the rear of my 56 Dodge I am going try to instal 3 sets of lap/shoulder
belts in the back seat like a modern car (3 kids to worry about) which will
probably require some additional bracing to be welded to the rear deck. This
should not be too difficult and I can use aftermarket belts or get some from
a donor car in a junk yard.

The front is more problematic.  On a car with a post I think the method
described on the Julianos  site www.julianos.com is the way to go.
Mine is a hardtop.  I am not crazy about the shoulder belt hanging down from
the roof and spoiling the clean lines, It might as well have a post if I do
that.
I was looking at various convertables and how the shoulder belt retracts
into the panel behind the seat. BUT all those cars have high back seats with
a guide for the belt to keep it up high and over the shoulder. If the belt
comes over the top of the relatively short back on the bench seat then it
will have to loop over the shoulder (at least for me I am pretty tall) and
you now have the added risk of spinal compression injuries caused by the
belt.

There are variuos "race car"  4 point harnesses available that get  bolted
to the floor, but again these are generally used with highback seats and the
low back seat problem remains.

ne approach is changing the front seat. Some pickups have a seat belt
integrated into the seat and would probably look ok if reupholstered with
classic materials, but I really want to stay with the look of the original
seat.
I have not resolved this yet. but will probably mount the belt high up on
the roof channel and live with the belt hanging down.

Scott 1956 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer 2002 Dodge Ram Quad Cab

----Original Message Follows---- From: JLSAVARD@xxxxxxx Reply-To: JLSAVARD@xxxxxxx To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Safety Question - Brake and seat belts Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:03:44 EST