Re: [FWDLK] Safety Question - Thoughts on Seat Belts

Re: [FWDLK] Safety Question - Thoughts on Seat Belts

With all due respect to "Julio's floor plate", and to Marty's
engineering research, "we" are talking about "massively
(nowadays)"full-framed
cars, with pretty-thick floor metal.

Altho I have not crash-tested my own "system,
I used 2 large steel washers (with radiused edges, I think) on either
side of the floor, to support the thru-bolt, that secures the front
seats, to the floor.

Before the seat belts rip-out, thru the floor, there must, first be some
sort of massive impact, which would act independently from the support
provided by the frame rail-system.

I don't think I WANT to survive any such impact.

BTW, the CHP has told me that their studies on frontal impacts indicate
that, due to internal-organ inertia, (brain/lungs/guts) they can not
'state' that 'all' people can survive crashes above 35
mph---survivability depends upon age/condition of the victim, and,
most-importantly, the attenuation (slowing-down) of the impact of one's
internal organs, during the collision episode.

btw(ii) in a LOT of frontal crashes, the victims submarine" UNDER the
seat belt system, and are crushed under the steering wheel/dashboard
areas---so, be SURE to install the 5th-point  safety harness, between
your legs.

The main benefit of lap belts is to keep the occupants INSIDE the car
(for better, usually, or worse)--and, the driver BEHIND the steering
wheel.

I believe that the late 50's cars have laminated safety glass, so that
when your pasenger is cantilevered into the W/S, by their lap belt,
their face will be damaged, but their carotid/jugular arteries/veins may
be intact.

btw (iii) a lot of airplane crash victims are found to be in 2 pieces,
from the action of the "lap-belt" system.

Neil Vedder