Re: [FWDLK] Shift cable release-

Releasing the shift cable can sometimes be easy, sometimes a little harder.
What will DEFINITELY work is dropping the pan, which will then give access
to the little spring thing that holds the tip of the cable into place.

I have also found that having the pan off is really the only way to properly
adjust the cable, when reassembling,  so that it will be "dead-on" the
neutral safety switch, when the Neutral button is pushed in.

I would strongly suggest dropping the pan, not just for ease of cable
removal, but especially to make sure the cable is properly adjusted when
reassembling.  I just did this specific job yesterday, on my '62 NewYorker
wagon, and it's fresh in my mind. It took quite a bit of adjusting, this way
and that, to get it "just right", so that the cam would be perfectly
centered on the neutral safety switch tip with the pushbutton for Neutral
engaged, and after rocking it back and forth between gears a few times.
Only when it was perfect did I button it up.

John Hertog Sag Harbor NY

----- Original Message ----- From: "dickskinner.ma@xxxxxxxxxxx" <dickskinner.ma@xxxxxxxxxxx> To: <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Monday, February 21, 2005 5:15 PM Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Shift cable release-

I willl share my experience.  I spent about an hour under the car trying to
release the cable - as described.  No success.  I gave up until I pulled
the engine and transmission.  Tried again and on the first try, the cable
released.  It went back as easily.

Why the initial problem? Not sure, but it was sure frustrating.

Dick Skinner