Re: [FWDLK] 40 YEARS OF STOCK CAR RACING VOL 1

Re: [FWDLK] 40 YEARS OF STOCK CAR RACING VOL 1

Did I say : "video"??? I've got the 1st 3 volumes of Greg Fielden's
"Forty Years of Stock Car Racing" books; Vol 1 covers the years
1949-1958 (got it in front of me , now) The 3rd volume covers the
"convertible" years. (Vol 2, & convie-book are at my office).

Anyone interested in researching NASCAR's 1st 40 years should seriously
consider buying these reference-books.

Tim Dupont privately 'mailed' me tonite, in reference to a 1956 Dodge
doing 'well' (highest-placed Mopar,) @ 1958 Rebel 300 race.

I researched my Vol 1, and found nothing in it, for a race  reportedly
held on 5/10/58.

I think that race may have been a convertible race (which might explain
the 'good' result, for a '56 Dodge, in a 1958 race, as the '56 Dodge
convie WAS a 'runner'!)--I'll let y'all know, about that race, which,
reportedly was won by Curtis Turner [in a Ferd, probably].

One thing I'm seeing, is that there were relatively FEW Mopars
campaigned, in 1957-1958 (with  VERY-few '57's & almost NO '58 Dodges
being raced ) . Ironically(??)
the 57 Plymouths, with their 318 Poly engines
were comparatively  WELL represented, but didn't win (m)any races, of
'importance.

The '56 Dodge did well, in 1956, thanx to its being extensively
campaigned by Kiekaefer (who's kidding whom?), and due to its 'lighter'
weight (than the 300), on shorter tracks.

It will be interesting to see the number/type of competitors (Mopar &
otherwize) in the 1958 Rebel 300 (again, that race was apparently NOT
one of the 51(!) "hardtop" NASCAR races, in 1958---unless I'm just not
seeing/finding it, in Vol 1----

Neil Vedder