Re: [FWDLK] working on her rear end

Hello Mario and other list members,

When we bought our 1955 Plymouth, we own her since the summer of 1984 , I was 25 years old.

Looking at the original brochures of the car I noticed too that the Belvie needed some “backlift”.

So first thing I did ,I ordered some especially made “Koni” shocks for front and rear ,in the 80s in the Netherlands Older car parts where not available as they are these days. The result was satisfying ,the car drove as new and as smooth as can be, like if the car wasn’t touching the road.

In 1985  we, Miriam and me, made holiday plans ,and decided to visit some friends in Italy with the Belvedere.

Since we would be bringing our wind surfboard, tent and other  stuff ,the car would be quite heavily loaded .

So I decided to look at the possibilities to have the rear springs replaced, or look at other options.

After some phone calls, the Netherlands isn’t that big , I found a company near Rotterdam who offered me to take off the rear springs in there workshop and they would “respring” every blade.

When that was done they would make a new spring blade as an extra helper .

At the end of the day when the springs were replaced, she was standing proud with a “ thank you”  on her grill. Now after almost 20 years there is no difference in as it was at that day. The holiday in Italy was great and Belvie impressed a lot of Italians who only wanted to now, how many cylinders and what is the fuel consumption.

After that we made many holiday trips with the car among them a trip for over 3500 miles in the summer of 1987 to the North Cape, the most Northern part of Europe ,we wrote an article in the Plymouth Bulletin some years later.

Mario , my advise would be if new or NOS springs are available where you live and the price is right go for that, but the way I did it is a good way too.

Its all about the money, if you or other list members are interested in some pictures about the process concerning the spring I could make some scans and send them to you .

With kind regards to all, Dirk Brandwijk, Netherlands.