From: "Bryan Scott" <scott1990@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2005 8:23 PM
Subject: [FWDLK] intake manifold restoration

Hi all!

Today I removed the intake manifold on my 1958 361 V-8.  I wire brushed it
clean, and later I intend to ream the ports with a nylon brush.  The ports
are black inside, but there doesn't appear to be any gunk or build-up of
any
sort.  Anyway, I have a few questions to throw out there.

First, underneath the manifold and on top of the engine is a sheet of
metal
that appears to act as the gasket for the manifold.  It runs from the
intake
ports on one side of the engine, forms a pan on the top of the engine,
then
runs up to the ports on the other side.  It's held down by a metal strap
at
the front and rear of the engine block.  Is "valley pan" the proper term
for
this part?  Is there a readily available NOS replacement part for this?
If
so, who sells them?  If not, is it OK to re-use the existing one?

Second, before I paint the manifold, does anyone have any words of wisdom
that I should hear before I proceed?  Such as giving it some sort of
pre-paint treatment, or anything else that I should do to it (or the
engine)
while it's off?  Just looking for worldly experience from those who have
been there before!