Re: [FWDLK] WOW, HARDTOPS CHANGED TO CONVERTIBLES !!!!!!!!!

Re: [FWDLK] WOW, HARDTOPS CHANGED TO CONVERTIBLES !!!!!!!!!

Okay, I have a convertible.  The rear frame, pans, quarters and rockers are
all bad.  No one reproduces these pieces.  The only way to get them is to
find a solid donor car.

So I take the body off a hardtop, weld in the convertible X brace, put the
body back, weld in the convertible wheelwells, top mounts, etc, put the
convertible cowl on the hardtop pan, throw away the roof and use the
convertible upper deck panel.  I keep the hardtop quarters, trunk, pans and
rockers, plus probably use it's better fenders, hood and grille.

I put the convertible radiator mount in, complete with data tag, and because
the VIN tag fell off it anyways I rivet that to the door post.

If you build it this way, as far as I am concerned you restored it - thats
what's going to happen to the DeSoto I sold.   Granted if I sell this car
I've rebuilt, it comes with a book of photos showing how it was restored -
but I can't control if the next guy is honest about it or not.  But so far
as I know that's the only way to do it.  If no one else is selling a one of
519 '58 DeSoto Firedome convertible this year, it's probably the only way to
get one at all.

VIN swapping has been going on forever, too.  None of the '60 Chryslers
where I got my New Yorker wagon have VIN tags.  I got one I found loose in a
'60 4dr in another yard just to have some kind of tag to try to register the
car with someday, then bought another parts car with a tag on it.  I am
pretty sure someone sold the tags and registration cards to my wagon and the
other cars there, back in the day - I checked three 60-61 Dodges and came up
empty, too.   Of course the tags just fall off if they get a little rust
behind them, too, so who knows.

Bill K.