From: "Bill Watson" <wwatson5@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2005 8:51 AM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] I WAS JUST WONDERING???????

> The 1953-54 Custom Imperial 2-door hardtop was on a 131.5" wheelbase, which
> was 6" longer than the Windsor/NewYorker - all in the hood.
>
> But the 4-door sedans were on a 133.5" wheelbase, and the extra length was
> in the wider B pillar.  If you check photos of the DeSoto and Chrysler
> sedans in 1953-54, the front and rear doors are next to each other with no
> post showing through.  Check the Imperial sedans, and you will see the B
> pillar between the doors.  Bill, you are correct.  In my 50+ years of being around these cars I never noticed this.  I refered to photos in "70 Years of Chrysler" by Geroge H. Dammann for refernce photos.  I stand corrected on this issue.
>
> But you are correct about the remaining models.  You could not turn an
> Imperial into any Chrysler model from 1953 as the  wheelbase and length was
> unique to the Imperial.
>
> As for the 1955 Imperial convertible, Chrysler could have use the
> Windsor/.New Yorker convertible and added the Imperial front and rear.
> After all the 1955-56 Imperial 2-door hardtop and the 1956 4-door models
> used the same passenger car compartment as the DeSoto and Chrysler.  Roof,
> doors and all glass interchange between Imperial, Chrysler and DeSoto for
> those models.

One item that has not been discussed so far are the wheel well openings.  In '55 all Imperials used a fully open well, but in '56 they returned to the standard Chrysler/DeSoto more squared off opening.  Therefore the '55 Imperial front fenders are unique and the rear quarters are also.  For those of you who are not familar with what I'm speaking of go to the following sites to see the differences.  Chip Loree's Keller car built on a New Yorker platform.  Notice the squared wheel well openings and also the bolt on upper rear fender additions.  A fender bolt addition very similar was used on all '55 & '56 Imperial 8 passenger and limos.  http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1955/KTKeller/index.htm

Here are photos of our '55 Newport. Once again look at the wheel openings.  To see different shots of ths car look on pages 1 and 2 at the site.  http://wackydave.fotki.com/cruise_nights/cruise_nights_2003/11-29-03_crystal/

John Lazenby
Southern California, just minutes from Disneyland
1955 Chrysler New Yorker Deluxe Town & Country
1955 Imperial Newport
1955 Chrysler C300
1956 Chrysler 300B
1957 Chrysler 300C Coupe