[FWDLK] wierd part-what is it????

Hi all!

Today I discovered an odd part attached to the firewall of my 58 Fireflight,
and I wonder if anyone can tell me what it is.  It is a 5/8" tubular plastic
part, about 1 1/2" long.  It was bracketed to the firewall, just to the
lower right of my power brake housing.  On top it has a metal cap sealing
off (what would otherwise be) an opening.  The metal cap is very much like a
beer bottle cap.  Sticking straight out of the front of the part are two
nipples, 1/2" long each.  One is right below the "bottle cap" and is 1/8"
I.D.  The second is right below the first one and is 1/4" ID.  Lastly, there
is a third nipple that comes off the bottom of the piece, making its overall
length 2 1/4"  The bottom nipple has a 1/8" ID but a large OD.  It also has
5/8" diameter plastic threads just above the bottom nipple that would allow
it to screw into something.  There are also ball bearing(s) inside the part.
The bottom nipple was connected to nothing, the middle nipple had a short
hose leading to nothing, and the top nipple had a hose that ran across the
top of my heater's housing and connected to nothing.

Can anyone tell me what this is and what it should be connected to if it
were properly installed?  Given the ball bearings and the screw-type threads
on the bottom nipple, it seems that a liquid should come in through the
bottom and the ball bearing(s) would direct which of the upper nipples
receives the flow.  Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!