Re: [FWDLK] '57 Chrysler Mystery

Most of those "freaky old Chrysler stories that can't be explained" can be
explained quite easily.  Some previous owner changed things.   The cars are
1957 models and it is now 2005 - 48 years later.  Today many change the 9"
brakes on their 1960-72 Valiants/Darts to 1973-76 Dart/Valiant disc brakes.
This changes the bolt pattern plus they usually go to a 14" wheel.

If we can change things today, why do we doubt others have not done so in
the past?

Never assume what you see on a old car today that does not meet factory
specs or offerings was some special Chrysler parts bin factory assemble job.
In the case of the New Yorker with the trailer hitch, you probably have the
correct reason why some previous owner changed the wheels.    The ventilated
wheels would definitely keep the brakes cooler, something very important
when towing a trailer.

As to why that size?  Who knows what he found in the local yard at a good
price.  Just like we do today.  And besides, Chrysler did not offer
ventilated wheels in  4" bolt diameter.

Bill
Vancouver, BC