Re: [FWDLK] power steering return hose

First off, the stuff they commonly sell at NAPA and other parts stores is for compression fittings and WILL NOT WORK on a spade type flange because it's way too stiff to stretch over.

Second, I sincerely doubt if there's such a thing as " '65 Dodge Polara return hose." $10 is out of this world for two feet of any hose.

Well, I went to my local NAPA and asked for a return hose for my '65 Dodge Polara and they came back with a box that had a 4ft or so length of hose in it. Part number is 7-1207 and cost me 8.87 plus tax back on 2 November 2001.

This piece of hose is not made for compression fittings - it is soft enough to use with hose clamps, which is how my '65 Polara came. Furthermore, there's enough hose in the box to make two return hoses, or one excessively long one.

Fourth, I'd really like some scientific explanation of what sort of petroleum byproduct is found in PS fluid that is not found in gasoline or diesel.

There are three types of hose I use as a mechanic: fuel, heater, and transmission cooler hose. Heater hose dissolves from fuel/oil/ATF/etc. Fuel hose won't hold up to ATF or its cousin power steering fluid. Transmission cooler hose is the most expensive per foot of the three, but it lasts. So which will be cheaper? A $10 piece of hose now, or a set of seals to rebuild your pump and steering box?

Sheesh!

Waaah.

Dave Casey