Re: [FWDLK] air compressor

Pretty much to summarize:

Remember this is a long time investment. You can go bigger later, but why suffer until then?

Watch Auctions in your area, there is an unending supply of these kind of tools at auctions. Every Christmas, Birthday, and Fathers day, the family gives dad new tools, and then he passes on. Nearly every auction has brand new, unopened, Craftsman sockets, wrenches and all other kinds of tools going for $2-30. Most of these things aren't listed in the Auction ad, so on a nice Sat., go to some auctions. I have used tools all my life and rarely buy tools in the store now.

Get as big a tank as you can get. Compressors are easy and cheap to come by, but you cannot buy the tanks new anywhere. I looked for years for a bigger replacement tank and they aren't sold.

2 cylinder is good, 2 cylinder, 2 stage is much better. 2 stage means that the 2nd cylinder takes the output of the first and compress' it more. If a pipe goes from one cyl. to the INTAKE of the second, it's 2 stage. If it goes to a "T" fitting near the second, it's single stage. Most comp. are 125# today, but 175# is great. With that kind of pressure, you can run any air tool, as long as you want, and never run low on usable pressure. Avoid Airless, period.

220V over 110V. It's worth the wiring cost even if you have to have it done. 110 volts limits the motor to about 1.75 hp. 220 allows a more powerful motor. And it uses the amount of electricity, or less if it runs less (more efficient). If you have to have it wired, add another circuit for a welder.

Usually shipping is free from Harbor Freight for orders over $50, so you can buy on the internet or from their catalog. It used to always be that way, check first.

Once installed, run a drain line from the bottom to the outside or a drain, and drain the water out of the tank weekly.

I just got another 2 cyl. oiled comp. at an Auction ($50), and it had an outlet on the side of the tank with a lever shutoff, and 2 hose connections at the pressure switch at the top. One was tank pressure and the other was regulated. This allows you to have one hose with full pressure to blow or use for big air tools and the other for air tools that require less pressure. Smaller tools don't like 90 + #'s. The side, full pressure outlet I used for the Shed on the side of my shop building. This is a great feature!

So, all in all, pass on the baby comp. deal you might have and go as big as you can.
Ray