[FWDLK] 58 Plymouth no longer work in progress

[FWDLK] 58 Plymouth no longer work in progress

My 1958 Plymouth Savoy 4 door sedan comes with a 318ci 4 barrel carb V8 (250
hp), dual exhaust, torqueflite transmission, power brakes, power steering, 2
speed wipers with windshield washer and radio with front and rear speakers.
I found this car in in Spring Lake, NC in a back yard in 1981.  It was
covered with light rust and  had a 1966 NC inspection sticker in the front
windshield.  The licence plate in the rear had a chrome holder which said
Freeman Moters.  There is still a Freeman Motors in Lumberton, NC which has
been in busness since the 1930s and still sells Chrysler products.  Because
of this, I believe the car was bought from Freeman Motors in Lumberton, NC
which is only 50 miles south of Fayetteville and Spring Lake, NC.  Mr.
Parker the owener, sold the car to me for $200.00 and I towed it home.  Now
I owned two Forward Look Plymouths both being local cars.  The first plan
was to use the 58 as a parts car for my 1957 Plymouth Savoy but after I got
the engine started with no touble I decided to restore this car as well as
the 57 Plymouth.  I then disassembled the car down to the body which I left
on the frame. I had to stop work due to other family needs, and stored the
car until 2001.  Once I had gotten my 1957 Plymouth back to running order in
2000 I again began the process of restoring the 1958 Plymouth. I first
pulled off the rear springs, removed the rust, painted them and put them
back on the car.  Then came the under carrage, pulled the gas tank, cleaned
and repaired it, repaired the trunk floor as well as the passenger floor
pans after the interior was taken out of the car.  Next the front clip was
removed and the engine and transmission were removed.  The engine and
transmission were rebuilt as was the front suspension.  The body was then
bead blasted to remove all the rust and sealer was applied.   Next the front
suspension and brakes were rebuilt and the engine and transmission put back
into the car.  The front clip was reassembled and put back on the car.
Finally after all the body work was completed the two tone paint went on,
original colors - the body is Bluebonnet Blue (light) and roof and side trim
is Midnight Blue (dark) and the interior parts are Comet Blue. The bumpers
were rechromed and the stainless cleaned and polished as was the aluminium
grill and head light doors. This car has been a work in progress for many
years but now completing the project is close at hand.  The goal is to
finish the project by 30 June 2005.

Dave, whenever you have asked for pics for the FL calendar I have sent pics
of my 57 Plymouth and 58 Plymouth work in progress, now I will be sending a
58 Plymouth project finished picture.  I know how slow a maechanic I am 1981
to 2005 (24 years) but it was satisfying and I learned a great deal so I can
now begin my 58 Dodge Custom Royal Regal Lance project and hopefully finish
in record time for me, just a few years.  Check out pictures on the web
page:

http://home.earthlink.net/~doodyhafay/

Thanks
Harry in NC