[FWDLK] '57 Plymouth power steering

I have two different kinds of power steering pumps.  One is the kind we're all used to seeing, but the other looks like it has kind of a canister on the top of the pump mechanism to hold the fluid (sort of looks like the old kind of oil filter holder).  I don't have part numbers available right now.  I think they're both correct for a '57 Plymouth, but I don't know for sure.  My "unproven" theory is that they used the canister kind early in the year, and must've had issues with them, and changed over to the more common variety.  Can anyone shed any light on these two types of pumps?

Mark   mjh
'57 Fury
'57 Savoy 2d ht
'61 De Soto