Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 4:29 PM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Popsitive ground

Postive is always Positive.   When you hook up a charger to a battery, any battery, or a battery to a battery, it is ALWAYS positive to positive and it is ALWAYS negative to negative.

When you have a car that is positive ground, and before 1956 that was common, the cable from the positive post on the battery attaches to the ground on the engine while the negative attaches to the cable to the starter,

If you ever attach booster cables to any car, regardless which side is the ground, it is ALWAYS positive to positive and it is ALWAYS negative to negative.
To do otherwise may cause your battery to explode with battery acid being sprayed everywhere.

The only difference between a negative ground car and a positive ground car is the way the cables are attached to the battery.  Whether the ground is positive or negative, the positive post on the battery is positive.

By the way, in the 1930's through the early 1950's, cars that had positive ground were Auburn, Chrysler, Cadillac (to 1942), Crosley, DeSoto, Dodge, Ford, Frazer, Graham, Hudson (1934-1957), Hupmobile, Kaiser, Lafayette, Lincoln, LaSalle (except 1934-35), Mercury, Meteor, Monarch, Nash, Packard, Plymouth, Reo, Studebaker, and Terraplane (1934-1937).   The big switch to negative ground in North America occurred in 1956 with the adoption of 12 volt systems.

Cars with negative ground were Buick, Cadillac (from 1946), Chevrolet, Essex, Hudson (before 1934), LaSalle (1934-35), Oldsmobile, Pontiac and Willys.  So before 1956 manufacturers with negative ground cars were in the minority.

As well, many British cars (Austin, Envoy, British Ford, Hillman, Humber, MG, Morris, Riley, Rover,  Singer, Standard, Sunbeam, Triumph, Vauxhall) used positive ground into the 1960's.  Datsun also used positive ground through 1965, not surprising as it was based on the 1950's Austin Cambridge.

Bill
Vancouver, BC