[FWDLK] Fwd: [FWDLK] 56 D500

--- Begin Message ---
  • From: DupontTim@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 12:25:30 EST
Johnnie, I think that any story is possible, it's proof that is hard to get. There has to be some documentation that goes along with a story.  Car guys are great, but they can spin a yarn with the best of mankind. For our Forwardlook cars documentation can be very hard. I really have worked a lot on the D500-1 story and talked to many experts and factory people. The stories are just that and I have many. But the facts well that's a different story.....There is no doubt that some D500-1 and D500 cars were produced and the Manifold and dual carbs were sent to be installed by the dealer or even the owner. A hard thing to prove is how many if any left Dodge as a complete assembly to the dealer or owner. Documents show Racers were provided items in a variety of ways as they were newly produced and not available at time of assembly. To complicate matters the parts could be ordered thru the parts department or somehow obtained and any D500 could be retrofitted with these parts. Contrast that with a late production model such as the car I own. It has a build card from Chrysler Historical Society and has 4 currently "unknown" codes. It was ordered in Denver, Colorado but according to the build record it was designated as a factory "customer pickup." The owner directly picked up the car from Detroit.  It was Designated as a Special Order Car, this is consistent with brochures that stated the dual carb setup was available by "special order" on the D500. The factory had a stated option price $426.00. I have seen other build cards that were stamped Sold, but none that were designated as "special order" as this one is.  Also late in the production special exhaust manifolds were offered and considered part of the assembly, like the Dual Ram, a dealer would have to perform an extensive exhaust conversion to complete the package. The car I own has the 2.5 inch exhaust system with Dash One ONLY (not offered on trucks like the Chrysler ones) 4 bolt collector exhaust manifolds, and remember it was a customer pickup.  Furthermore on the factory parts list for the model designated D500-1 a late 56 Dodge factory document that shows all part numbers for the Dash One "series" , including optional parts, there is an asterisk by parts such as the 40 Plymouth Cluster gear, with a different second gear ratio, and when it is denoted at the end of the list an asterisk indicates parts to be shipped "In The Trunk", no kidding it says "in the trunk". No such asterisk appears by the manifold (intake or exhaust) and carbs or their related pieces. Another fact, for the factory to get NASCAR horsepower ratings displayed on the hood 276 H. P. (something that the 355 hp Chrysler apparently didn't accomplish) by nascar rule it had to offer this Dual Four engine as a factory assembly.  There are factory dyno records of this assembly. These facts and the supporting example makes a pretty strong case for a factory installation that was available to "the public."  The car I own was assembled on May 18th, 1956 and is still correct and complete in all ways when compared to the build card (numbers, parts, dates, etc.). I believe Dodge had the means to produce it complete. The stories of some pretty reputable people have confirmed this and would add a bit of proof but only as much as a story can. Did the buyer of the car I now own have to complete the assembly of this very expensive Dodge! If this is true I would love to hear that story. Tim in Golden Co. 56 D500-1